hello list-

i am beginning to spec out a box that will run a php/mysql application,
that will have (initially not many) up to a couple thousand dumb devices
phoning home ever hour to 4 hours. each phone home will check to see if
it has a new file to download.  most phone homes wont have any thing to
download. however, when a download becomes avail, it will be downloaded
buy a group of anywhere from 1, 2...  50 on up to maybe 1000 units will
be downloading the 3-4 meg file spaned over the phone home interval (1 -
4 hrs) for that group of units.

so, if there is a group with 200 units in it, and their phone home
interval is 1 hr, the next time a new download is made avail, all 200
units will want to dl that update over the next hour, (plus all the
other phone home status checks from all the units).

is this not really that much bandwidth or IO? I guess if 200 units over
1 hr dl a 4 meg file, its 800 megs over an hour, thats not all *that*
much.

I need to plan hardware/bandwidth wise to make sure this process works
smoothly.  Should i be looking at a dedicate box to run this? Currently
its going on our main server which has other things like qmail, apache,
and jabber servers running on it.

thanks for any advice/insight.

duncan