| Why would it be a bad idea to open, say, 5801 to the internet?  That's
| all I would need to open.  I have realVNC running a mini http server
| that pops up a java applet to run vnc.  This is nice because then I can
| run the remote desktop from anywhere that has a web browser with java.

Because VNC sends every keystroke in plain text. This is generally a
really bad idea. :)

| RH8 has a little program they call "Public file server" which, when you
| go to http://yourip:8001/, opens a html file directory.  It displays the
| contents of a specific public file server folder that you specify.  Are
| there any inherent risks to this?

Just exposing your files to the general public. I mean, if you want
the world to read your e-mail, every document you ever wrote, etc. sure,
leave it running. This soulds like a feature in RH that's just begging for
an exploit. :-/

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
"The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making
a stable operating system and Linus Torvalds claims
to be trying to take over the world."
--
Kernel Panic: I have no root and I want to scream.