Why would it be a bad idea to open, say, 5801 to the internet?  That's
all I would need to open.  I have realVNC running a mini http server
that pops up a java applet to run vnc.  This is nice because then I can
run the remote desktop from anywhere that has a web browser with java.

Another question:
RH8 has a little program they call "Public file server" which, when you
go to http://yourip:8001/, opens a html file directory.  It displays the
contents of a specific public file server folder that you specify.  Are
there any inherent risks to this?

thanks
justin