Thanks for your reply.  I'm not quite clear with what I need to do, though.

First of all, if I do this, won't I need to keep doing this everytime I
add a file to this directory structure?  It seems like there would be an
easier way.  If this is, indeed, the easiest way, could you outline
again who owns what.

Secondly, I don't seem to have an adduser command.

thanks
justin