ls -l /var/www | grep html

Usually it has owner and group permissions. chmod 775 /var/www/html &&
adduser yourusername groupname

where groupname is the name of the group that owns the directory. Once you
log off/log on to refresh the group permissions, you should be good to go
for the most part. Because we didn't do the chmod recursivly, exiting
files and subfolders won't have the correct permissions.

You'll want to use mode 664 on files and 775 on directories. You'll also
need to make sure any files you move to this directory are owned by the
group, not you. You can do this with the chgrp command.

Probally the safest way to go about things so you don't have to muck with
the default permissions set on the webserver and such.

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
"The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making
a stable operating system and Linus Torvalds claims
to be trying to take over the world."
--
Kernel Panic: I have no root and I want to scream.