Go for it - it's a great idea for a learning project.  Way back in the
2.0.x kernel days I built a network bootable 'distro', and what I learned
back then has been of great benefit to me over the years.

(It's kind of scary when you can't remember what year something happened,
but you can remember a kernel version...)