On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 06:12, Mike Partyka wrote:
> Ahh, I think I understand now. One followup question though Dave?
>
> If in the /etc/xinetd.d/ directory there is no telnet file, then does that
> mean that telnet is disabled? And the conversely, if there was a telnet file
> in there, could i then assume telnet was enabled?

If there is no /etc/xinetd.d/telnet file, then telnet will assume the
xinetd defaults, as given in the /etc/xinetd.conf file. However, if you
don't have a telnet file, then it is likely that the telnet server is
not even installed. As far as I know, RedHat provides a config file with
each server rpm, to go in the xinetd.d directory. If there's no file,
then the rpm is probably not installed.

rpm -qa|grep telnet

to find out. If you only see telnet-xxxxx, that's the client. There
should also be a telnet-server (I'm going from memory here, so my
nomenclature might be a little off).

--
Dave Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA