I, personally, have had terrible luck with gateways.  My family has
bought a number of computers through them, and we've had a number of
problems.
- you certainly won't get tech support if you install linux (or do
anything to your system other than turn it on), and the tech support is
shotty.  getting replacement parts is a major hassle.
- the cases are poorly designed with hardly any ventilation.  One of my
gateway hard drives broke down -- I pulled it out and it was too hot to
touch.  I keep my side cover off.
- the parts are, as is surely the case with other big-name computers,
just good enough to get along running the preinstaled windows.  Don't
expect to find any feature on the motherboard that's not essential to
the running of the computer.
- _documentation_  -- gateway provides worthless documentation.  The
things you get with your machine are aimed at people that don't know how
to turn a machine on, and their website documentation is mostly just a
source to download windows drivers (a pain, i might add).

enough of me tearing gateway apart.  I've just had bad experience after
bad experience with gateway.

In terms of actually building your own machine, it's not as daunting
(usually) as it may seem.  Oftentimes, it can be as simple as buying the
right parts and putting them into the case without
electro-static-discharing through them.  Then, you pop the machine on
and throw linux in your cdrom (after maybe a minute of bios setup).  I'm
sure there are good resources for this all over the internet.  I bought
my gateway about 2 years ago, and immediately afterwards I regretted not
making my own machine.  It all depends, though, on your level of comfort.

hope this helps

cheers
justin

ranging from them sending us an incorrectly configured computer (for
video editing), to the fac