I see someone mentioned RedHat as a distribution to start off with. Mandrake
is also a good beginner distribution.. and the one I have continued to use.
Mandrake 9.1 will be out real soon (a week or so probably).

The only major hangup for a home user running linux is getting hardware
designed for windows only to function properly. The most common one is the
"winmodem".

hope that helps some!

Nick

On Wednesday 19 March 2003 13:35, cxobert wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am new to this list, and new to Linux.
>
> I am looking to get a new PC to install and run Linux on at home. I'd
> just as soon see if I can do the installation myself to learn what it's
> like.
>
> I could use feedback or advice on where to proceed - what
> distribution(s) of Linux to look at, a suggested place to get my
> machine, issues I should be aware of before or after I buy. I've done
> some nosing around online and have some ideas, but I could use feedback
> from experienced users.
>
> So - can anyone help point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Charlie Obert
> cxobert at goldengate.net

Nick Davis
Associate Systems Administrator
ndavis at iexposure.com
Internet Exposure, Inc.
http://www.iexposure.com

(612)676-1946
Web Development-Web Marketing-ISP Services