Welcome to Linux!  Oh so many flavors of Linux to pick from.  A good place
to start in my humble opinion would be Red Hat 8.0.  Are you looking to
build a new computer yourself or buy one from a manufacturer?  If you don't
mind a no brand name PC, might I suggest General Nanosystems
(http://www.nanosys1.com).  They have some fairly good values for complete
systems.  Otherwise, if you are looking to build it from scratch I like the
following websites for parts:

New Egg  - http://www.newegg.com
GameVE - http://www.gameve.com

PriceWatch - http://www.pricewatch.com, is always a great place to shop for
the cheapest prices.  However, I find that the sites that have the cheapest
prices may not be the most reliable or secure with your personal
information.

.02

                      "cxobert"
                      <cxobert at goldengat        To:       <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
                      e.net>                    cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  [TCLUG] New to Linux, with questions
                      tclug-list-admin at m
                      n-linux.org

                      03/19/2003 01:35
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      tclug-list

Hi.

I am new to this list, and new to Linux.

I am looking to get a new PC to install and run Linux on at home. I'd
just as soon see if I can do the installation myself to learn what it's
like.

I could use feedback or advice on where to proceed - what
distribution(s) of Linux to look at, a suggested place to get my
machine, issues I should be aware of before or after I buy. I've done
some nosing around online and have some ideas, but I could use feedback
from experienced users.

So - can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Charlie Obert
cxobert at goldengate.net