On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 14:22, Tom O'Neill wrote:
> What is the best way to setup a VPN with Open Source software?  I have read
> about freeSwan but is there other options?
>
> Thanks!

Are there other options? Yes. Better than FreeSwan? Probably not, if
security matters to you. And since you are asking about VPN, I will
assume security is an issue :-)

PoPToP does PPTP, but PPTP is generally regarded as less secure than
IPSec. SSH can be used to create a VPN, but as far as I know it does not
support commonly-required functions like SMB network browsing. I'd be
happy to have someone prove me wrong.

But FreeSwan is really pretty easy to work with, once you read the docs
a couple of times and make sure you understand the concepts behind an
IPSec-based VPN.

--
Dave Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA