On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Tom O'Neill wrote:
> What is the best way to setup a VPN with Open Source software?  I have
> read about freeSwan but is there other options?

What kind of VPN do you want?

Give us more details of exactly what you'd like to do, and maybe we can
answer the question.

IE: "I want to connect a remote office with their own network to our own
corporate network, with a Linux firewall/VPN box on each end. I'd also
like to allow people on the road to access the corporate network from
wherever they may be. These people have a mix of Windows and Linux
laptops."

There are a bunch of alternatives to FreeS/WAN (PoPToP, vpnd, L2TPd, sshd
+ pppd); I personally like FreeS/WAN the best, but I'm biased.  :)

Oh, there's also built-in IPSec (ported from KAME, IIRC) in the 2.5
kernels.