On Wednesday 19 March 2003 12:12 pm, waynej at dccmn.com wrote:
> I disagree.  I had a P90/32Mb/512Mb running RH7.3 for several years as my
> gateway/firewall/webserver/mail server.  PHP was pretty pokey because of
> the lack of memory, but everything else was pretty good.

Redhat7.3 was released in May of 2002- so its less than a year old. I know
many people who considered it simply an "add on" to 7.2- mostly giving it
bloat with new features like the most recent version of KDE, etc.

> Red Hat has several pre-defined packages (Server, workstation, etc.) that
> plug a whole lot of packages into your machine that you don't really need.
>  Try the custom configuration and include just the required packages.

Sometimes the easiest way to do this is to start with a custom install of
nothing: unselect all but the required packages and the few packages you know
ahead of time you will need (ssh, etc).  Then only add packages as you
discover you need them. This is true for any distro.  It works so well with
Debian because thats how the installer works- same mentality. But it will
work with pretty much any distro.

> You will probably want to keep X11 (aka XFree) and the desktop stuff off
> as these chew up a lot of memory and disk.
>
> > On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 05:36:43PM -0600, Mark wrote:
> >> What would be the best, current and easiest Linux distribution to use
> >> (including X Windows) on an old  P60 512mg HD 40mg RAM?
> >
> > Debian.  Recent versions of Red Hat, Mandrake, etc. will be hard
> > to squeeze into those constraints.  With Debian you can start
> > from a base system and work up from there.  You should be able to
> > fit X and a simple window manager (WindowMaker, IceWM, FVWM)
> > in under those constraints.  I use a laptop with only little bit
> > more power than what you mention.

If you have another machine to play with, try installing a bunch of different
window manages and see which ones you like best that take up little memory.
They all function a little differently, and with 512Mb of disk space, you
cant afford to play around too much on it.

Jay

--
Jay Kline
http://www.slushpupie.com