If you're looking for an inexpensive unit to play with, might try
www.walmart.com.  Units start at $199, no monitor.  Options are no
OS, or Lycoris, Mandrake or Lindows preloaded.  I'm partial to
Mandrake myself.  If you get a preload, should avoid missing driver
problems to start with - until you update OS.

If buying locally, bring along a Knoppix CD to the store to see if
hardware is supported.
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Bob