STEVEWABC at netscape.net writes:
> Ok found that the computer was running hot so install a Volcano 7+
> fan and that did it ...Now we are down to the Ethernet 10/100 on
> Windows it was called a realtek RTL 8139 but when I run the network
> Configuration from Xadminmenu (debian base)and pick the realtek RTL
> 8139 (listed) it tells me that it can not install the realtek RTL
> 8139.

If you are running a 2.2 kernel, use "rtl8139".  If you are running 2.4, use
"8139too".

RTL8139 chipsets are not very good and about the only reason to use them is
because you can get $5 cards that use them.  Many cheap cards (even in the
$30 range) found at CompUSA or Best Buy use them.  The Intel eepro100 is a
good chipset.  3com cards are good too, but they can be a bit pricey.  Tulip
chipsets, often found on Linksys cards, are decent.  Beware that different
revisions of the same Linksys card can have different chipsets.

Here is some more info about various chipsets:

http://www.fefe.de/linuxeth/

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/