I use simple perl scripts to send,receive,sort my mail along with
mutt and fetchmail.

To send: http://www.turbobit.com/software/email/smtp.pl.txt
Add to .muttrc:set sendmail=/home/me/bin/smtp.pl

To rec/sort: http://www.turbobit.com/software/email/putmail.pl.txt

For my purposes this really beats trying to setup a full-fledged
mail server.  And after looking at procmail source I decide to make
my own solution using perl.