Well I've adopted a scheme like the company I work for. City, Type of
machine (P=production D=Devel S=staging) (Role of machine,
wks=workstation, svr=server rtr=router fws=firewall swt=switch)
example: stcp0001rtr.askewview.net is stcloud production the number is
arbitrary then rtr for router. And ofcourse if you want a nice friendly
name you can setup a cname in dns for it