It took that message a few days to show up on the list, and I've fixed
the problem in the meantime.  Although I don't fully understand why what
I did worked.  If anyone feels like explaining this to me, I'm more than
happy to listen.

All I did was delete the file
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/10xfree86-common_numlockx because my
~/.xsession-errors said something about numlockx, and that was the only
file on the system in which grep turned up anything about numlockx.
After deleting that file, window managers load without any error.  But I
don't know what the files in Xsession.d do, or if I might experience any
side-effects from deleting that file, or why a problem with numlock
prevented all window managers from loading, but didn't interfere with X
itself...

Anyway, the upshot is:  problem solved.

Ian