I can no longer load any window manager.  They all give some variation
on the error:

unable to open display ""
(that's twm's error, gnome's is):

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
SESSION_MANAGER=local/goodmanbrown.dnsalias.org:/tmp/.ICE-unix/3482
Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

So, I can't load any window manager, BUT, X will load if I invoke it
directly. I can just enter "X" and I will get the gray screen with the
x-shaped pointer.  No errors are recorded in the X-windows log, and no
warnings are there that haven't been there all along.  (Everything was
working fine until last night.)

More puzzling still, if I use xinit to load X with a terminal window, I
can then invoke gnome-session and gnome loads without any errors that
are apparently relevant to displays.  (there are two file errors and one
Gtk WARNING: gtk_signal_disconnect_by_data(): could not find handler
containing data).  Using the same method, twm loads without errors.

I found a web page that seemed to suggest that I try setting my DISPLAY
environment variable to "127.0.0.1:0.0" but that had no effect, except
the errors printed that they couldn't open that particular display,
rather than not printing any display name.  I also tried reinstalling my
video drivers (proprietary nvidia), but that changed nothing.

The only error message I can find to offer is the "can't open display"
one. Has anyone had a similar problem, or know what might have caused
this? Any suggestion at all would be much appreciated, as I'm at a loss
to know where to start troubleshooting this.

Thanks,
Ian

--
Reclaim the Public Domain!  Sign the petition at:
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/eldred/petition.html