I have been using cat or dd to make CD images at work.  I burn files that
I need to ship to customers with a particular product onto a CD, then use
cat or dd to make an image so that later I don't have to find the files
next time I'm working on the same product, I just have to look in the
directory where I store my cd images.
Recently both of them give me errors when I do so.  The  errors really
don't tell me anything.  They just say "Input/output error"
The weirdest thing is that the image file has been complete and all files
seem to be as they should.  I mount the image as a loop device and
everything is there.  I make a CD from the image and the new one is just
like the old one.
Does anyone know what this error is all about?
Errors (even ones that seem not to matter) really annoy me, especially
when it's on something I'm going to be shipping to a customer.

Justin Kremer <kremer at ringworld.org>

"One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity."
- Rush "The Spirit of Radio" (1980)