Michael Jentges wrote:

>>I checked the system log files, found out the system found and
>>recognized  CD-RW, USB, and Zip drive, but gave them different
>>assignments than what was  in /etc/fstab. Corrected /etc/fstab device
>>assignments, typed in my modprobe  stuff, mounted everything, and it all
>>works
>

> Just goes to show, there's nothing like a good log to provide relief.
> Best diagnostic STARTING place there is, period. Although it was likely
> frustrating, I bet you never have this problem again.
>

>>(except I still can't read the  data I burned onto the CD-RW).
>

> I never did the CD-RW thing in Linux, just CD-R but I know in Windows,
> using something like Roxio's "DirectCD" these disks can only be read by
> this software.
> They are used as 'swappable drives' in most cases. If this isn't what
> you're after get some CD-R's and life might be just grand. If not, dunno
> what to tell you.

I have come to hate Roxio, because of that "swappable drive" feature
that creates a single .exe (presumably some sort of zip archive with the
files I burned, plus a "Roxio reader" to access the files) on the CD
which of course is only readable by another Windows PC.

I tried to disable whatever Windows kernel plugin is running that makes
it lock my CD, so I can just burn a plain old CD, but no go. Roxio is
buried under the kernel's skin like a year-old tick.

Meanwhile, K3b works perfectly with CD-RW's on my laptop. It erases
CD's, burns CD's, and guess what? They are readable on ANY system!

--
Dave Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA