> I checked the system log files, found out the system found and
> recognized  CD-RW, USB, and Zip drive, but gave them different
> assignments than what was  in /etc/fstab. Corrected /etc/fstab device
> assignments, typed in my modprobe  stuff, mounted everything, and it all
> works

Just goes to show, there's nothing like a good log to provide relief.
Best diagnostic STARTING place there is, period. Although it was likely
frustrating, I bet you never have this problem again.

>(except I still can't read the  data I burned onto the CD-RW).

I never did the CD-RW thing in Linux, just CD-R but I know in Windows,
using something like Roxio's "DirectCD" these disks can only be read by
this software.
They are used as 'swappable drives' in most cases. If this isn't what
you're after get some CD-R's and life might be just grand. If not, dunno
what to tell you.

Best of luck!

-mj

> Marc