On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:45:02 -0500
Marc Olivier <mcolivier at earthlink.net> wrote:

> It doesn't go into details as to what I should do if I have only one
> parallel port to begin with, and the Zip drive is daisy chained
> between a parallel port printer and the machine. I'm running SuSE 8.1
> on a AMD machine with multiple USB ports and an internal ATAPI CD-RW
> (which doesn't burn under Linux but will do fine under Win2K).
>
> Where do I find the hardware dependent architecture code for the Zip
> drive?

Try unplugging your printer from the Zip drive and see if you can do a "modprobe imm" and get your Zip drive to work.  You "may" need to reboot before it works.  Something tells me that there's an incompatibility issue between the Zip drive code and having the printer and Zip drive daisy chained.  Knowing that they were daisy chained from the start would have helped initially.

Not sure where to find the specific pieces for the Zip drive within code.  Sorry.

> This is not fun, so any help on the 'hardware dependent architecture
> code' as it pertains to parallel port Zip drive, and any help on
> setting up the CE-RW to actually burn data and music, will be greatly
> appreciated.

As to the burner, try the following command and see if you get any information back:

cdrecord -scanbus

Is your burner ATAPI?  If so, you need to make sure that you have scsi emulation setup.  Did you read through the How-To for cd burning that I referenced in a previous e-mail?  It's very insightful on this subject.

Here it is again, in case you missed it:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

--
Shawn

The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.