On Monday 09 June 2003 12:00, tclug-list-request at mn-linux.org wrote:
> From: Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>
> To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
> Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 19:16:34 -0500
> Subject: [TCLUG] More people running SuSE? Just more problems running SuSE?
> Both?

Hello.

I have found the following site that may offer help to install a parallel port
Zip drive for 100 MB disks.

http://sdb.suselinux.hu/en/sdb/html/ke_parport.html

It doesn't go into details as to what I should do if I have only one parallel
port to begin with, and the Zip drive is daisy chained between a parallel
port printer and the machine. I'm running SuSE 8.1 on a AMD machine with
multiple USB ports and an internal ATAPI CD-RW (which doesn't burn under
Linux but will do fine under Win2K).

Where do I find the hardware dependent architecture code for the Zip drive?

For a little history, I tried Caldera, and CorelLinux, and couldn't get either
loaded. I tried and ran Mandrake (early version) for a while, but didn't get
far. I tried SuSE 6.x and was amazed, and have stayed with it. I recently
tried Debian and RedHat. I did not finish installing Debian as I couldn't get
the graphic display system working like I wanted, and didn't get any farther
than that. I have successfully installed Red Hat, but found it didn't include
(or I couldn't find) MySQL or PHP, and it, too, would not let me find a Zip
Drive nor let me fully utilize my CD burner, so I went back to SuSE 8.1.

In regard to the zip drive stuff, I have had suggestions from members of this
group, and found they are nearly identical to those on the Iomega site, but
they don't work. I think part of the problem is SuSE doesn't like the term
'ppa' but prefers to use 'parport'.

This is not fun, so any help on the 'hardware dependent architecture code' as
it pertains to parallel port Zip drive, and any help on setting up the CE-RW
to actually burn data and music, will be greatly appreciated.

Marc