Bob,
I tried snowboarding a couple of years ago and last winter took some
training at Hyland Hills.  It's a lot
of fun but... cross-country mountain biking is MORE fun.
If you want an example of how what you're trying to do is done in the
mountain biking community check out:
  http://morcmtb.org/morcpages/multimedia.htm.

They use Bulletcam which musn't be very expensive 'cause someone got one
of those as swag at a recent race.
Check out www.bulletcam.com.  They have video on their page too:
http://www.bulletcam.com/videoclips/uvs030530-002.MPG

I don't know if any of the equiment is Linux compatible though.