I recently had to move my Web server/DNS server.  I've gone through the
procedure before, but after changing the IP of my domains in the name
server to the new IP, I always have to wait for the Internet to catch up and
resolve the domains.  Here's the procudure I use:

1.  Put a temporary DNS server at the new location and point the IP's to
the old location's IP.

2.  Register the new name server at the place where I registered the
domains.

3.  Change the primary DNS server of my domains at the place that I register
from the old name server to the new name server.

4.  Turn off the old name server after the domains have the new name server
as the primary name server.  I check this with a `whois`.

5.  Everything works fine up to this point.

6.  Once I have moved the DNS/Web server, I change the IP's in the DNS
server and Web server to point to the new IP.

This method works, but I always have to wait at least a day before things
catch up and start resolving.

Is there a way to go about this IP changing without having the downtime
while waiting for all the DNS servers on the Internet to get the new IP?

Thanks, list.  Any input is appreciated.

Mark Courtney

http://www.MarkCourtney.com

     __
   +|oo|+