I think VMWare 4 (I tried the beta of 4) restricts
your hardware choices based on the OS you
say you are going to install. If you choose something
other than Linux for the "type" of VM, it will probably
give you the IDE option, but I don't know what other
tweaks they do to the underlying "machine" though.

I have assumed they chose the devices they emulate
based on stability of the OS drivers available, but I
do not know.

>>> natecars at real-time.com 07/23/03 03:28PM >>>
> > First thing I usually do when setting up a new VMWare Linux guest is
> > delete the SCSI drive they automatically set up and change it to IDE.
Why
> > they do SCSI, I have no idea..
> How do you do that?  I thought they picked the drivers due to
stability.
Hmm, that's lame - in VMWare 3, you just went in and removed the SCSI
device and added a new IDE device.. in VMWare 4, doesn't look like it
gives you the option! So, disregard that if you're a VMWare 4 user, I
guess..