On Friday 25 July 2003 1:47 pm, johnnyfulcrum wrote:
> This question is currently floating around at my work:
>
> How will Linux lower the TCO?  RedHat AS 2.1 is about ~2000 dollars/server
> - not free.  I don't think Hardware costs would be a huge area of savings
> either since Sun/IBM pricing has improved considerably - and I believe the
> OS comes bundled with the cost of the server itself with Sun/IBM.

As to Oracle on Linux, SuSE Enterprise 8 is certified for Oracle 8i and 9i. I
did a quick check of the pricing on SuSE 8 for x86 (probably Xeons) the only
way you get to $2K/server is with the "premium" support package. They also
have versions for Itanium and AMD64 (Optitron?) Pricing on the 64-Bits is by
CPU for the support program. Basically you buy the support service and for
the first server you get the software for an extra $129.

Jack
Your local SuSE bigot.

--
Jack Ungerleider