This is my first message on this list, so please be gentle :-)

I have two computers connected by a crossover cable and identical NICs.
One is running Mandrake 9.1 and the other is running W2k. I have had
them communicating perfectly for quite a while. I was able to use Samba
(so cool!) & VNC (to avoid buying a KVM switch) & of course ping. But
after shutting the machines down before a lightning storm a few weeks
ago, I can't get them to talk.

I readily admit that I don't know much about networking but I want to
learn. I'm not sure where to start, but I think this should help:

[rick at myLinux rick]$ ping myW2k
PING myW2k (192.168.1.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
 From myLinux (192.168.1.1) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
 From myLinux (192.168.1.1) icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
 From myLinux (192.168.1.1) icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable

--- myW2k ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 0 received, +3 errors, 100% packet loss, time
5027ms, pipe 3

I had a similar problem before and solved it by physically removing the
NIC from the Linux box, booting, re-installing the NIC and when I
booted, I got VNC working but not Samba. I tried this again but no luck.
--
Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff