On Thursday 24 July 2003 11:48 pm, Joel Schneider wrote:
> >       Does anyone happen to know the name of the program that allows you
> > to call (for example) your home computer, enter a password, and then,
> > after you hang up, the program will connect to the internet and send the
> > IP address to either an email account or a web page? Actually, the last
> > steps can be accomplished with scripts, but what I'm interested in is the
> > first part, getting the computer to connect remotely. Thanks,
>
> pppd?  mgetty?
	I found this article
(http://www.pcquest.com/content/linux/handson/199030105.asp) that uses mgetty
which explains a process similar to one I had in mind, and while it wasn't
exactly what I was thinking about, it might do. What I _was_ thinking about
was a program that watched the phone line, and after "Step X", it would dial
up the ISP and then send off the IP address. "Step X" varies, of course. I
remember one clever program that counted the number and timing of rings.
E.g., if you called your number, let it ring twice, hang up, and then call
within a minute or so and let it ring once before hanging up, it would then
set pppd in motion. I fotgot this program's name, but it's probably no longer
supported (it was fairly long in the tooth two years ago). Of course, it
might be more practical to log directly in via mgetty. On the other hand, in
past tinkerings with mgetty, I've found it a bear to configure. Well, I'll
keep looking...
	:Peter