On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Florin Iucha wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 06:36:36PM -0500, kcbnac wrote:
> > I have Grub installed as bootloader for RH 9, and MS Windows (which
> > launches it's own menu- 98 or XP)  I have to reinstall XP, so how do I
> > make a back-up of my current Grub setup, and restore it once XP is done
> > doing it's damage to the MBR?  Or do I need to do an 'upgrade existing
> > Linux installation' from RH 9 to RH 9 to get it to overwrite the MBR?
>
> You don't need to back it up. Just make a grub floppy disk (with
> grub-floppy) and make note of the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst
> (print it or write it down).

 I suspect this could be made even easier by doing:

# insert blank floppy, run as root:

`grub-install /dev/fd0`

# shutdown, install windows
# boot off floppy; should give you grub splash screen
# log in as root again and run:

`grub-install /dev/hda`

 That ought to get grub back in place.  Anyone is welcome to correct me if
I'm wrong.

     Jima