On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 06:36:36PM -0500, kcbnac wrote:
> I have Grub installed as bootloader for RH 9, and MS Windows (which
> launches it's own menu- 98 or XP)  I have to reinstall XP, so how do I
> make a back-up of my current Grub setup, and restore it once XP is done
> doing it's damage to the MBR?  Or do I need to do an 'upgrade existing
> Linux installation' from RH 9 to RH 9 to get it to overwrite the MBR?

You don't need to back it up. Just make a grub floppy disk (with
grub-floppy) and make note of the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst
(print it or write it down).

Reinstall XP, then boot with the floppy, when you get the grub console
enter the information that you got from /boot/grub/menu.lst then you
can boot into linux.

For instance if you have linux boot/root on /dev/hda3 enter
   root (hd0,2)
   kernel /boot/vmlinu$whatever root=/dev/hda3
   boot

Note: at step 2, if you don't know the exact name, grub has filename
completion, so TAB away...

After you got in linux, reinstall grub.

   grub
   setup (hd0)

Cheers,
florin

--

"NT is to UNIX what a doughnut is to a particle accelerator."