/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

Ivan

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn
To: TCLUG
Sent: 7/20/03 10:30 PM
Subject: [TCLUG] Permanent IP change

  Apologies on a simple question, but it's escaping my head right now,
and I can't find an answer readily out of the the books I have in front
of me.

  At the installfest, we got Debian running on my system.  However, I
need to make a network IP change to it.  Currently, it's running DHCP.
I need to make it a permanent static address.

  I know I can issue the command of:
# ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.50 netmask 255.255.255.0

And this will assign the IP address.  However, it's only good
temporarily until the box is rebooted.  What files/commands to I need to
issue or modify to make this a permanent change?

  Looking in the /etc/network directory, there is an interfaces file
with NIC info.  Is this the correct one?  If so, what should it look
like for static IP's and netmask?

  On Slackware, I did a "netconfig" and an interactive prompt came up.

  Thanks, appreciate any help on this.

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"