Personally I have all my boxes configure via DHSP, and the DHCP server
provides boxes with a static IP based on their MAC address.

This is good because if you want to change, say, the default router on ALL
of your machines, you only have to change it on the DSHP server, and then
renew the lease on all the machines.

A lot of access points/home routers will let you do this. ISC's DHCP
server (which comes with, at least, Red Hat) does it better.

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Shawn wrote:

>   Apologies on a simple question, but it's escaping my head right now, and I can't find an answer readily out of the the books I have in front of me.
>
>   At the installfest, we got Debian running on my system.  However, I need to make a network IP change to it.  Currently, it's running DHCP.  I need to make it a permanent static address.
>
>   I know I can issue the command of:
> # ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.50 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> And this will assign the IP address.  However, it's only good temporarily until the box is rebooted.  What files/commands to I need to issue or modify to make this a permanent change?
>
>   Looking in the /etc/network directory, there is an interfaces file with NIC info.  Is this the correct one?  If so, what should it look like for static IP's and netmask?
>
>   On Slackware, I did a "netconfig" and an interactive prompt came up.
>
>   Thanks, appreciate any help on this.
>

> --
> Shawn
>
>   The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.
>
>   Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"

-Yaron