Jack Ungerleider writes:
 > On Sunday 13 July 2003 9:17 pm, rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:
 > > I have been running Mandrake, and booting to run level 5.  This gets
 > > me into KDE.  I have a desktop icon that runs Xemacs.  I've been
 > > disappointed to find that my ordinary shell environment (path, other
 > > environment variables, aliases), initiated by ~/.tcshrc, is not
 > > available to me when I start xemacs by clicking on this icon.  I
 > > suspect this is the same no matter what program I run, if it's
 > > initiated graphically.  What I was wondering is "how can I get my
 > > ordinary shell environment in place in the course of logging in
 > > through kdm (or other display manager)?"
 > >
 > > Thanks!
 > >

 > Note: I have not tried this so I don't now if it will do what you want.
 >
 > There is an option on KDE launchers to run the application in a terminal. As
 > long as KDE opens your default shell I to run the app it should load your
 > environment. The option is on the Execute tab of the icon properties.

Thanks, Jack.  But that's not /really/ what I want.  I want /all/ the
apps to get the right environment, rather than having to patch each
individual launcher to get it.  What I'd REALLY like is to force KDE
to source ~/.tcshrc when it starts up.  And I would have thought this
is what most people would want (well, with some variation for /which/
.<foo>rc to run) --- how many people /don't/ want their paths
consulted when dispatching to find binaries?