On Sunday 13 July 2003 9:17 pm, rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:
> I have been running Mandrake, and booting to run level 5.  This gets
> me into KDE.  I have a desktop icon that runs Xemacs.  I've been
> disappointed to find that my ordinary shell environment (path, other
> environment variables, aliases), initiated by ~/.tcshrc, is not
> available to me when I start xemacs by clicking on this icon.  I
> suspect this is the same no matter what program I run, if it's
> initiated graphically.  What I was wondering is "how can I get my
> ordinary shell environment in place in the course of logging in
> through kdm (or other display manager)?"
>
> Thanks!

Note: I have not tried this so I don't now if it will do what you want.

There is an option on KDE launchers to run the application in a terminal. As
long as KDE opens your default shell I to run the app it should load your
environment. The option is on the Execute tab of the icon properties.

Good Luck!

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com