I use postfix.  After extensive testing, I was able to get higher
performance out of than qmail (I used to run a big mail cluster for my old
employer).  It's very simple to administer, you don't even have to edit
config files, just use the postconf command.  Note that you'll still have to
install an IMAP or POP server with this, it's just the MTA (like sendmail).

But, if you're trying to replace exchange, you might look at
http://www.opengroupware.org  It's supposed to be an exchange replacement,
and apparently the outlook calendaring stuff works with it.  I haven't tried
it, so I can't really give you any opinions on it.

Jay