>I know people are annoyed at the holy war over mail servers, but this
is
>useful to me, or would be if you would give some reasons why your
favorite
>is the best. I have been adding Linux machines to our small company
for a
>year or so now (file server, router, etc). It's approaching time to
tackle
>the Web and Mail servers, which are currently IIS and Exchange. I am
most
>intimidated by the mail server and would appreciate any suggestions
on
>reading material to get me started, and, yes, even suggestions on
which
>mail server to use.

You've seen mention of the main MTAs. I've tried Postfix and Qmail. I
was forced into supporting Sendmail at work for a while. Now, I only
have to support my home mail server, so take this for what it's worth.
I'm currently using Courier MTA (www.courier-mta.org). My selection
criteria were:

1. Maildirs and not mbox
2. IMAP support
3. Web interface

Courier IMAP is a very well regarded IMAP implementation for Maildir
formats. Following down that lead, I stumbled onto the full Courier
package, which did everything I wanted it to do in one fell swoop. This
is not to say it's monolithic. Sam V. (the main developer)has done a
good job of modularizing the system so you only install what you want. A
lot of people replace the webmail interface with Squirrel or one of the
other, prettier web interfaces.

The one down point is, the documentation is convoluted. You have to
read EVERYTHING and there are frequent RTFM references on the mailing
lists (Sam can be moody).

Hope that helps,
Bruce

Bruce Broecker