I hope I'm not the only person who gets confused by the various flavors
of DVI input/output connections out there.  I've come across a Sony TV
that has "DVI-HDTV" inputs, but I have no idea what that means, other
than you can presumably connect a Sony HDTV receiver into that port..

I would like to know if this port is just another marketing term for one
of the standard DVI interfaces, or if it's something different.  Also,
does anyone know if it is possible to hook a VGA card to this interface
and get an image, or do you need a DVI card?  Can you even hook a
standard DVI card to this input?

My understanding of DVI so far is that DVI-I is a fairly universal
connection, allowing you to connect an analog VGA device to a DVI port
and have something display.  DVI-D only allows a digital-digital
communication, as far as I am aware.

There's also the dual-link DVI flavor, which allows twice as much
bandwidth to pass over the cable (it has more pins/wires to transmit the
data).  This is for people who want non-interlaced video at resolutions
higher than 1280x1024.

Anyway, I'd apprecate it if anyone could tell me where DVI-HDTV fits
into this picture, or if I'm totally wrong on the basic DVI definitions.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Tolkien is hobbit-forming.