K B wrote:
> I am trying to find a replacement for my school's Novell servers.  The goals are this:
> -User accounts must be able to be limited in capacity (IE- each user gets 5MB to use)

man quota

> -Must be able to semi-automatically create users (feed it list of names, create username/pw from that) (command line fine, can just write scripts)

man 1 passwd, specifically look at '--stdin' option that RedHat added
around RH 6.x and up.  you can easily script adding users and setting
initial passwords this way.  Mandrake most likely supports this option
since they're a RH based distro.

> -Be able to handle many (up to and maybe more than) 200 concurrent connections (Current limit is 200)

shouldn't be an issue for linux :)

> -Backups.  Need to be able to do them in a timely, automatic manner.  (Cron job or whatever nightly)  Major plus if files can be backed up while user has file open.  (Haven't found anything yet that does)

automatic - cron is your friend
there are a number of ways to do backups.  some things to look at would
include:  amanda, rsync, rdiff-backup, or you could roll your own
tar/gzip, dump, cpio, whatever scripts.

> Could I do this off of a basic install of Mandrake 9.1?  Anybody got tips, or links, on how to do this?

most definitely.  most things I mentioned will be installed by default,
except the backup software.  just google for it or check freshmeat.net
--
scot