On Tuesday 08 July 2003 11:47 am, Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS) wrote:
> I am using RedHat 9. I want to get rid of KDE screensavers totally. I
> want to setup xscreensaver in KDE for my users.
> How can I remove the kscreensaver totally and instead configure only
> xscreensaver?
> In the kcontrol module, under Appeaeance & Themes, when a user clicks on
> Screen Saver, I want the xscreensaver configursation window to popup
> instead of kscreensaver? How can I do it? I mean, from the kcontrol
> module, the users should be able to configure xscreensaver. I don't want
> to just turn off kscreensaver and ask the users to execute
> xscreensaver-demo to configure xscreensavers. They should just be able
> to do as they do with kscreensavers in KDE? Any ideas....?? Thanks in
> advance....

I was curious about this and so I started poking around (running KDE 3.1 on
SuSE 8.2). Two things:

1. I found a message Xscreensaver developer on Google groups that mentioned
there is not currently a Qt version of the Xscreensaver-demo. He doesn't use
KDE and doesn't know Qt. He feels it should be trivial for some with that
knowledge. The message was dated last November so its not something that's
been out there for too long.

2. SuSE has an RPM kdeartwork3-xscreensaver-3.1.1 this makes all the
XScreensavers available from the KDE control center. Some of the screensavers
are configurable from the Control Center but many are not the are missing a
file for the kxsconfig program. How these are generated I don't know. You'll
have to look for a similar package for RedHat the two main executables are:
kxsconfig and kxsrun.

Good luck!
Jack

--