On Fri, 2003-07-04 at 18:37, STEVEWABC at netscape.net wrote:
>     I have shut down the fire wall now, make what ever is default that
> it came with sorry. How would I find out?

I'm not sure what the default firewall is with Libranet2.8 but if you
shut it down you don't have one running. Thats good for now, you might
want to set that up later.

>    One I do no yes I'm running Comcast (cable) with a netgear router.

Cool. It's probably a netgear CM212? Is it connected to your computer
with an Ethernet network cable or a usb cable? Do you have more than
this one computer hooked up to the internet in your house?

IF you have the Netgear CM212 Model Cable modem and no other router or
other networked computers at your house you should be good to go. From
the looks of your "ps -aux |grep apache" command apache is running. If
it was not running you wouldn't have those lines. So you should be
getting something, like a test page, when you connect to your computer
from a web browser.

Try connecting now like you did before by opening up the browser and
going to http://127.0.0.1/

If this works you should be able to get the same page from another
machine anywhere on the internet by using your ip address instead of
127.0.0.1.

You can figure out what your ip address is with the command
"/sbin/ifconfig" you should get something like this:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:F4:1D:78:F8
          inet addr:123.123.123.123  Bcast:123.123.123.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

The inet addr: would be your internet ip address

> So now from one of the other posts replays I see I will start to play
> in the files... But any way this should be more helpful I hope and
> were I am at this time!!!

Right. If you get a test page apache is working. Now you can go ahead
and configure it like Garret explained in his post. Edit httpd.conf and
restart apache

Also figure out how to configure your firewall to allow only port 80
traffic from the internet. You are kind of naked right now with no
firewall. I think your cable modem is only acting as a bridge to the
internet which offers no protection.

good luck,
--
Tom Penney <blots at visi.com>