> a) Send the DVD to someone else, use DVD-R
> b) Play the DVD in a DVD player, use DVD-R
> c) Use the DVD in a DVD-ROM drive, use DVD-R

	Congrats, you completely missed the point. That point being that DVD+R works on a lot more players than you think. It sounds like you've swallowed the line from the DVD-R consortium hook line and sinker. DVD-R *is* more widely supported, but it's about a 2% difference. Please refrain from uninformed sweeping generalizations.

	Matthew what bothered me about your statement was that not only was it overgeneralized, uninformed, and might turn off people from a technology that is just fine, but you were putting down someone who already owned equipment. They're not trying to make a decision, they made it, and you telling them essentially "don't do that you're stupid and wrong" isn't going to change anything for them or help them find local DVD+RW media.

> There are, of course, some DVD players and DVD-ROM drives that support
> DVD+R media, but they're few and far between. None of the DVD players
> purchased by/for family/friends this year would read DVD+R, but they
> all happily read DVD-R/DVD-RW.

	And you know this because you tested DVD+R movies on all your friends' DVD players? How many is "all"?

> The difference between DVD- and DVD+ is that hardware makers are making
> concious efforts to ensure that their devices will read DVD-, DVD+ support
> just happens occasionally as a side effect.

	And you know this because you work for Panasonic?

> Funny, it takes about 60 seconds to finalize on my system.

	Recorder or burner? What speed?

	The DVD+R standard is much closer to the DVD video standard natively, so it's always much faster finalizing. The DVD-R standard needs more changes to work in players. I have a 2x DVD-R burner and had a DVD-R recorder (replaced my DVD+R recorder) and they both take forever to finalize.

	I guess I should qualify my statements a bit. I'm a VJ in my spare time. The worldwide VJ community wastes a lot of time knowing things like whether the DVDs we burn/record are going to work on players at the venue or each others' players. I loved my DVD+R recorder, and DVD+R worked in every player I have (4) and have used (3 different models) except the portables I use which are cheap chinese players, and designed for VCD/SVCD more than DVD. They may suck, but they are my primary road warriors, so I switched to DVD-R.

	On a side note, I know you're all geeks like me and up to the task technically, so if you like electronic music, and are looking for a new, experimental, up and coming artform, talk to me about trying your hand at VJing. (just like DJing, but with video) I book different VJs at the Quest nightclub every week, and I love helping new folks get into it.

Matt