On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 08:04:13AM -0600, Matt Murphy wrote:

> > DVD+* sucks unless you're only using it on your own system, if this is the
> > case, good for you.
>
> 	How was that helpful or relevant to the question? It was also
> ill-informed, IMO.

Let me rephrase then.

If you want to:

a) Send the DVD to someone else, use DVD-R
b) Play the DVD in a DVD player, use DVD-R
c) Use the DVD in a DVD-ROM drive, use DVD-R

There are, of course, some DVD players and DVD-ROM drives that support
DVD+R media, but they're few and far between. None of the DVD players
purchased by/for family/friends this year would read DVD+R, but they
all happily read DVD-R/DVD-RW.

The difference between DVD- and DVD+ is that hardware makers are making
concious efforts to ensure that their devices will read DVD-, DVD+ support
just happens occasionally as a side effect.

> Granted I did sell off my DVD+R/W recorder, but
> under very specific circumstances, not because it didn't work in 98%
> of the players I tried. (even some that wouldn't take -R) I definitely
> preferred the +R, as it didn't take 8 years to finalize.

Funny, it takes about 60 seconds to finalize on my system.