Switches on either side of the fiber. I dont really want to have a
computer with a card as an end point. Regardless of Linux amazing uptime
(my server is at 526 days :) ) I would still rather just have it as
simple as possible.

The connections are currently BNC on each end going to the FX to TX
converter. Maybe you cant make that out in the picture I linked to.

I dont even know what the connectors are for the new 1000base
converters, but they dont look like BNC type connections to me.