Probally beating a dead hourse at this point, but I haven't read tclug for
a week. Please forgive me if I missed the Nazi post. ;)

I don't care how much any full time studen whines, school at any level is
not "the real world."

There are tasks in schools that Linux is well suited to.
* Web Kisoks
* Into to typing/keyboarding.
* telnet client (think libiary lookup system. this can fall into web
kisok)
* network services.

Many technical courses are just not going to work on Linux. Basic
electronics, Publishing, CAD, and other stuff.

On the administrative side, Linux/Windows/Macs are pretty much equal IMHO
IF (and that's a big IF) you know what you're doing.

The problem with technology in schools are that the wrong people are
making the technology decisions. The school board/community thinks that
the "real world" is Windows 9x and Office 97 or 2000. If you walk into a
business of any size, I'm sure you'll find at least one PC with Win 9x and
Office 97.

Now think about it, what do these people have at home? Increasingly it is
Windows XP and the latest version of Office, but why do we on the LUG
promote Linux as great for old PCs? Because there are lots of PCs out
there running Windows 95/98/ME. Only last month did I finially get my dad
off a Pentium Classic running Win95.

So a majority of people making the technology decisions are running old
harware with some of the worst possible operating systems. So what ends up
in schools? Not Linux. If your'e lucky you get Win NT/2000/XP. If you're
not lucky, you get Win 9x and Netware (or other equally bad combinations.)

Unless there is a sudden influx of people who can administrate a Linux
machine, I don't want to see Linux in the schools. Leave Linux in the
schools to the parties who are willing to take it on to accomplish their
educational goals. For everyone else, please give them Win2000/XP or Mac
OSX and limit administrator access to administrators...

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
 A password is like your underwear; Change it
 frequently, don't share it with others, and
     don't ask to borrow someone else's.