Scot Jenkins wrote:
> Kent Schumacher wrote:
>
>>Is anyone here using vgetty?  What sort of modem are you using?
>>I can't seem to find any recommendations for a modern modem.
>

> I'd be interested in hearing others' success/horror stories with
> vgetty, vocp or anything else that lets your modem act as an answering
> machine.

Here is where I'm at...

About a week ago I was told that a better voice mail system for our
salespersons would be a good thing, but that getting a whole new phone
system would not be.  While looking at possibilities I decided to
see what vgetty offered, so I grabbed an old 1996 era Cardinal modem
from my junk pile, plugged it into a serial port, and it worked perfectly.

I looked on the net and saw a lot of new voice modems for around $30,
so I thought 'Wow! I can get this whole thing done for around $180...  I'll
be a hero!'.

So, I ordered one of the modems off the net, and then spent about 18 hours
coding up a really nice voice mail system specifically for our company using
the cardinal modem.

The new modem arrived, I plugged it in, and it didn't work at all... I thought
'Oh my god, I've wasted $30!  They're going to kill me!'.

So I decided to save my life and coded up a new vgetty 'driver' for the modem.
At the moment it works almost perfectly, but there are few little issues (DTMF
detection misses short presses, recording termination sends termination events
differently depending on how termination occurs).

I expect I'll have the above fixed this morning.  I'll probably send patches
to the vgetty mailing list after it has been in production a bit.

Nope, I'm not going to tell anyone the name of the modem yet.  I need to order
several of these and the last time I announced that a piece of hardware was
compatible with Linux the darn things sold out before I could get all I needed.
(and yes, that is a silly but true statement).

Kent