Kent Schumacher wrote:
> Is anyone here using vgetty?  What sort of modem are you using?
> I can't seem to find any recommendations for a modern modem.

I tried setting this up earlier this year but didn't get too far with
it.  Initially I tried a cheap ($80) external Zoom voice modem from
Microcenter.  No luck getting that to work so I returned it.  More
research, and I settled on a Multitech modem.  They looked like the
best chance for success, plus they're HQ is here in Minneapolis which
is nice.  I called asked for a recommendation on a voice/data/fax modem
that would work with Linux.  They sales guy I talked to was helpful and
honest and didn't flinch when I said Linux.  He recommended model
MT5634ZBA-V-V92 which listed for about $200.  He suggested I shop
around for a better price instead of buying direct from them, which I
thought was nice.  I bought mine online from CDW, another vendor I would
recommend.

I managed to get vgetty to talk to the modem but I had to recompile the
mgetty software from source because the firmware version string is
hardcoded in the source.  This makes it impossible to flash your modem's
firmware or replace the modem entirely and still expect vgetty to work.
I really belongs in a config file.

I got vgetty to answer incoming calls and record them but I couldn't
get it to play the outgoing greeting, which is kind of useless for an
answering device.  The recordings sounded like chipmunks too.  I gave
up after a while.  I meant to look at VOCP [1] to see if it would work
any better.

I'd be interested in hearing others' success/horror stories with
vgetty, vocp or anything else that lets your modem act as an answering
machine.

[1] http://vocp.sourceforge.net/
--
scot