Clay, get the boiling oil.  Or if we're out, get the emergency backup
oil and start boiling it :)

These are my pet-peeves.  I don't really care if this guy reads this or
not - I have no interest in "donating" my time and professional insight
to a company with billions of dollars, but I certainly don't mind
ranting...it's good for the soul :)  If he wants more recommendations
I'll be happy to sit down with a design team or Ballmer himself, if I'm
adequately compensated.  Instead of hiring out of MENSA, in all of it's
top IQ glory, why not hire people that have actually tried to USE this
stuff, and let them tell you how it should work!

I have had the fortune of not having to administer Windows machines
since NT4, but this is the stuff that I see and hear complaints about
regularly.

Priority 1 is to stop changing everything with every release.  Gawd, why
is the DUN setup (almost) identical in 95 and 98, different in ME,
different in NT, different in 2k, and different in XP?  Why should we
have to have different setup instructions for every version of Windows,
every version of IE, and every variant of Outlook?  Why is it so
difficult to view full headers in Outlook and OE?  Know why there are so
many 95 and 98 users still around?  Because they don't want to have to
re-learn everything after they upgrade.  The inconsistency in the
interface is probably complaint #1 for tech-support.

Can't there be a better way than MMC to manage IIS websites?  I want
something that I can change with a text editor - a text file that I can
backup, print out, copy from machine to machine, do GLOBAL CHANGES,
modify with a shell script?  Give me a flat file, give me XML, give me
SOMETHING that I can modify without a GUI.

Exchange 5 and 2k accept and queue EVERY message received (that's
addressed to a valid local domain, doesn't break relaying rules, etc)
and only AFTER they accept the message and close the SMTP session do
they do the user lookup for final delivery.  This causes no end of
problems when a spammer does a dictionary attack against an
Exchange-hosted domain.  I've heard this is fixed in 2k3, but haven't
confirmed.

Exchange 5 and 2k (correctly) tried every MX in order until it either
ran out, or delivery succeeded.  Exchange 2k3 (apparently) only tries
the first two, then gives up.  True, RFC 2129 says to try at least two,
but implies that you should try as many as possible to make delivery
succeed.  SMTP was designed to be EXTREMELY reliable.  We shouldn't go
backwards in functionality with a new release.  I think it's reasonable
to assume that a company will have 1 mail server, 1 backup on-site, and
1 off-site backup MX.  That's 3.

I want to be able to pull a drive out of a machine, put it into another
(non-identical) machine, and go, like I can in Linux, BSD/OS, FreeBSD,
UnixWare and Solaris.  I don't want to re-install Windows, and I don't
want to call Microsoft to let them know that my hardware has changed
(XP).

On that same note, I think the network configuration is keyed on the MAC
address of the card.  So I can't just swap in a new NIC of the same
model, without having to re-config the network.  This isn't a huge deal,
unless you're talking about a machine with 200+ IP's on it.

You really have to wonder, when MS is designing this stuff, do they ever
sit back and think - is this pointy-clicky interface still usable with
100 of these (IP's, websites, users), 1000?