> From: Samuel MacDonald <smac at visi.com>

> That was called a slide rule and I learned how to use one.  I couldn't
> remember today but I could re learn.
> To think we sent men to space using slide rules.
>
> Sam.
>
> Chuck Cole wrote:
>
>>In the mid '60s, we were still doing math by rubbing sticks together
>> :-)

Scientific American has an article in the Jan. 04 issue about a handheld
mechanical calculator with an 8-digit readout. Designed by a Jew in a
concentration camp. It cost $125 though, so when the fancy LED calculators
got down to that price, they stopped making them.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0008177C-EA28-1FD3-A7EA83414B7F012C&catID=2

Very cool story. You have to subscribe or get the paper version to read
it, though.